The work that Danone Research & Innovation has carried out in the field of Human Milk Research has inspired and driven the majority of infant milk category innovations that have supported the health of infants and mums across the world. We are proud of this heritage. Our breakthrough discoveries include:
• 1977: We continued to analyse human milk in our labs since the seventies after we became the first to improve the casein–whey ratio of our formulations since 1968, to more closely resemble the protein profile of human milk.1Wemmer U, Meb Fortschr Med. Published on 1977;95(7):441-6.
• 1983: We discovered that long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCPUFAs) are specifically distributed in form of polar and non-polar lipids and we proved that the lipid form is important for the functional benefits of LCPUFAs.2Harzer G, et al. Am J Clin Nutr. Published on 1983;37(4), 612-21
• 1994: We became the first to describe the complex spectrum of genetic determined human milk oligosaccharides (HMOS) including newly detected long chain HMOS.3Stahl B, et al. Anal Biochem. Published on 1994;223(2), 218-26
• 2003: We discovered beneficial bacteria such as lactobacilli and bifidobacteria in human milk, which may further protect the infant via the promotion of a favourable microbial ecosystem.4Martin R R, et al. J Pediatr. Published on 2003;143(6), 754-58.
• 2010: We demonstrated that specific differences of HMOS quality and quantity exist over the course of breastfeeding. In addition, other research groups confirmed that the 4 different HMOS groups detected by us in 1997, have a direct effect on the individual microbiota of the infant5Thurl S, et al. Br J Nutr. Published on 2010;104:1261–71 ,6Coppa GV, et al. JPGN. Published on 2011
• 2016: We discovered around 600 new proteins, making it up to more than 3500 different proteins in human milk. Herewith, we extended significantly the knowledge regarding the human milk protein composition.7van Herwijnen MJ, et al. Mol Cell Proteomics. Published on 2016;15(11):3412-23
|1||Wemmer U, Meb Fortschr Med. Published on 1977;95(7):441-6.|
|2||Harzer G, et al. Am J Clin Nutr. Published on 1983;37(4), 612-21|
|3||Stahl B, et al. Anal Biochem. Published on 1994;223(2), 218-26|
|4||Martin R R, et al. J Pediatr. Published on 2003;143(6), 754-58.|
|5||Thurl S, et al. Br J Nutr. Published on 2010;104:1261–71|
|6||Coppa GV, et al. JPGN. Published on 2011|
|7||van Herwijnen MJ, et al. Mol Cell Proteomics. Published on 2016;15(11):3412-23|